expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday 23 April 2012

donut muffins...



These are called doughnut muffins but in truth are not very doughnut-like at all. The sugar coating and spoon of jam in the centre is about as far as it goes. What they do have going for them is no resting or rising is needed and no vats of boiling oil are required. They are very quick to throw together, taste better the day after you make them and keep for four or five days in a sealed container. They also make a very acceptable breakfast muffin and kids just love them.



The original recipe for these little cakes is from BBC Good Food Magazine and lists raspberry preserve, which I love. But some are not keen on the pips, so I used the universal crowd pleaser that is Bonne Maman’s Strawberry preserve instead. Show me someone who doesn't like strawberry jam and I will show you a kitten kicker.


Ingredients
150g caster sugar
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
100ml plain yoghurt (I used regular Glenisk but low-fat works just as well)
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g butter, melted
12 tsp strawberry preserve
150g caster sugar to coat
Makes 12 muffins

Method
Heat the oven to 180°c and lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tin.
Put the sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl and mix to combine.
In another bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, eggs and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients and melted butter into the dry ingredients and fold until mixed well.
Place 2 tbsp of the mixture into each muffin hole. Add 1 tsp of the jam into the centre of each and then cover with the rest of the batter.
Place the muffins into the oven and allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before removing and tossing in the caster sugar. Top tip folks - keep them bottom side up after coating as they will hold their sugar crust better.


38 comments:

  1. I am a kitten kicker I guess. Not a fan of strawberry jam...but I LOVE marmalade and I love gooseberry jam ..... Hint hint ......
    The doughnuts look delicious. You should bring your kids over here and make a huge batch for my kids. 'twill keep them quiet for a while, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or we could leave them all in the garden with a packet of shop bought Jaffa Cakes and drink gin..

      Delete
    2. You always have the BEST ideas.

      Delete
  2. These look incredible! I can practically imagine biting into one and that jam oozing out...what a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elly - there was rather a lot of oozing going on that morning, I shall have to double the recipe next time, they really didn't last long at all.

      Delete
  3. Pretty pretty pretty! :-) I'm scared of deep frying so doughnuts are not on my horizon. These look doable though!

    PS graphic designer guru, when might you be visiting our neck of woods, so we can arrange for you to come and cook with mum?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the deep fryer makes you smell like a dinner lady, blurg!

      Alas my wings are clipped during term time - that was a side effect of having children that I hadn't thought about. So I will have to wait for July at the earliest - if it wasn't for those pesky kids :)

      Delete
  4. Boo to strawberry jam, hurrah for raspberry jam. But I hate (hate hate) anything cooked in boiling oil so the raspberry variant of these will suit fine. They look delectable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and another jam jar for your collection.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! Another for my "Must Do" list, which is getting longer and longer :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colette, I have one of those expanding lists as well, which is partly down to your good self.

      Delete
  6. Wow! These look amazing and I can't believe so easy to make. Will definitely try these with some rhubarb jam, my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Idea - rhubarb jam would be perfect!

      Delete
  7. I'm another one who doesn't want to get anywhere near a vat of boiling oil although I absolutely love doughnuts. Must try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so simple to make, Kathryn - you totally should.

      Delete
  8. This is brill as I have always wanted to make doughnuts but have put it off due to the frying. No need now !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a nice fried donut, but the clean up after always puts me off. These are a very acceptable substitute.

      Delete
  9. I love these type of muffins! My mom used to make a muffin similar to this when I was growing up. Yours look even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you combined muffins with donuts - that glistening sugar and oozing jam has been craving both donuts and muffins now ;) I am featuring this post in today's Friday Food Fetish roundup (with a link-back and attribution), but please let me know if you have any objections. It's a pleasure to be following your creations…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always welcome around here, Mr. Warrior.

      Delete
  11. Waited all week to make these they are amazing. I doubled recipe and was over generous ended up with 12 giants 6 the size they should have been. Also experimented with a blob of nutella for the jam hating children am told it was yum. Thanks off to buy onions for the soup now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nutella is nice as well, but you may consider increasing the jam ones to keep the children away and have more for yourself!!

      Delete
  12. These looked good enough to click and comment! (Found you on Tastespotting...)

    I am really loving the fact that there is no frying involved! I love the texture of a muffin better but the strawberry filling and sugary outside are the things I love in a good doughnut! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks for dropping in Dionne. It's always nice to get comments.

      Delete
  13. I love jam-filled donuts the best!!! this is So much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum. Yum. Yum. I am a fickle person and only like strawberry jam when it's in the middle of a doughnut.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. its hard to tell from the photos, are these standard or mini?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. regular sized - jar of jam is put in for scale. A 12 hole muffin tin will do the job nicely :)

      Delete
  17. Perfectly baked everyone just loved them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very reliable recipe this one - you cant go wrong with it :)

      Delete
  18. Hi
    Just Made the muffins for my friends birthday.
    Bringing them into work tomorrow.
    They look perfect hope they taste as good,
    Very quick and easy to make.
    Saw the recipy in the Irish Country Magazine
    Look Good
    Thanks
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great D. Hope everyone enjoyed them! Lovely to hear from you :)

      Delete
  19. finally got around to make these! i have been meaning to them since you posted the recipe! they are so good! thanks! not sure there will be any left by tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huraah for you Peggy! - Hope they hit the spot.

      Delete

Say hi, don't be shy!