expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday 16 January 2012

baked brunch baguette



This is a fabulous breakfast or brunch recipe, easily increased for larger numbers or appetites. Featuring the ever useful egg - it's a kind of Jumbo Breakfast Roll if breakfast rolls were glamorous. Remember to whip up your egg mixture in a jug, as it makes it really easy to fill your hollowed out bread rolls. Be careful not to overcook these, you want crusty on the outside with a soft eggy, cheesy yumminess oozing from the inside, overcooking will give you a dry and too firmly set inside, sad times.



For those of you not familiar with this classic Irish meal solution, the breakfast roll is typically white bread slathered in 'spread' and filled with a traditional fry, designed to be eaten on the way to school or building site, single-handed. Rashers, sausages and eggs usually feature heavily, maybe some white and black pudding, often mushrooms and hash browns, sometimes even beans and all smothered in ketchup or brown sauce.

Since the breakfast roll is now in a catastrophic decline, in line with the fall of the construction industry, it's time for a radical make-over. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you… The Baked Brunch Baguette


Makes 2 filled baguettes

Ingredients:
2 demi baguettes, wholemeal or seeded
2 whole eggs + 1 egg yolk
25ml cream or creme fraiche
2 thin slices parma ham
1 ounce hard cheese, grated (I used gouda)
2 spring onions, finely sliced
Salt and pepper


Directions:

1. You will need a hot oven - about 200C.

2. Cut out a long oval section from the tops of the baguettes and scoop out the soft bread from the inside being careful not to pierce the crust.

3. Crack the eggs into a jug and beat together with the cream, onion and seasoning. Mix in most of the grated cheese.

4. Pour half the mixture into each baguette and place each onto a slice of ham on a baking sheet. Fold the ham up over the middle of the bread roll and scatter the rest of the cheese on top.

5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown, the egg mixture is puffed up but sill runny in the centre and the parma ham is crispy.

6. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and serve.





19 comments:

  1. Now there's something I have never ever seen before, and now I'm wondering why? Cunning idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so making this for the Chef some morning. Just not tomorrow..cause I do not have baguettes.
    I love the rasher on the outside Amee.... Lovely. And who would not live that gooey cheesy egg mix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what I call perfect food for 23.08 pm, coincidentally the time of writing this comment. It looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't go wrong with cheese, bread, ham and eggs! This looks like a lovely wintry warming combo to get you through January :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These filled baguettes are such a good idea I will be making them myself this weekend! Shall get some part baked baguettes in the freezer just for this, thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea! They look gorgeous and as always your photos are fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ladies, I must now admit in the spirit of honesty that I have to make two just for myself - they are that good. I expect I will have to upgrade from a demi baguette to a full size one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are awesome! Goodbye boring breakfasts! ... brunches. Honestly, I could even have these for dinner :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so good, they would be even better with avocado!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant. Am definitely making these this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wondering if there is a way to make 24+ of these for a brunch. They'd have to be made slightly ahead of time. Wrap them to keep warm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect they would keep warm for a good while tightly wrapped in foil. Good luck with your brunch :)

      Delete
  12. These look amazing. Sadly mine failed. My bread burned and my eggs were slimy. I even tried covering the bread with foil and left the opening exposed but it was a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about that Marcy. Maybe if you reduce the temp of your oven they would work better, all ovens have their own little ways.

      Delete
  13. Fantastic! My bread did start browning too much before the egg mixture set but I wrapped in foil and it worked a treat. My son loved them too....going to try it with a filling of Boston Baked Beans next time! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic, home made beans would be fantastic, i'm going to try that too :)

      Delete
  14. these look delish .. your description of the breakfast sandwich took me back to my childhood days in Glasgow and I can taste a piece (sandwich) and bacon with tattie scone .. mmm

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your beautiful photography caught my eye- can't wait to try these- they look and sound SO appetizing :}

    ReplyDelete

Say hi, don't be shy!